7.12.2012

Oh yay, the blues has got me.

So basically, as the title suggests (words borrowed from the original Fleetwood Mac), the blues have got me. Now all you rhythm and blues aficionados will scoff and snigger your way through this wee bit of writing, if you read it at all, but for humble music listeners like myself, perhaps you can relate. I was brought up on a pretty strict yet unintentional rock'n'roll diet, with three listenings of The Rolling Stones' Exile on Mainstreet, The Beatles' Abbey Road or Led Zeppelin's IV a day and although I credit this regime for my music taste, it had left me a little void of the soothing blues that these artists and others have to offer. So that's when I discovered the original 60s Fleetwood Mac, the Stones' 1981 album Tattoo You and pretty much every song on my iPod with the word 'blues' incorporated into the title. Granted, these aren't the first artists that often spring to mind when considering the blues; Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and B.B King sound more credible, but hey, I think that if you have a guitar in your hands and blues in your heart, anything's possible (admittedly a little musical talent is essential but let's not get ahead of ourselves). So here's my take on the blues, and I am in no way saying that Muddy or any other greats are obsolete, but a little variety goes a long way. Below you'll find albums that are impeccable in their entirety, with some killer blues-y tracks highlighted.


Sticky Fingers | The Rolling Stones 1971
Recommended tracks; Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, You Gotta Move, I Got The Blues, Sister Morphine 



 The Pious Bird Of Good Omen | Fleetwood Mac 1969
Recommended tracks; Need Your Love So Bad, Albatross, Black Magic Woman


Led Zeppelin III | Led Zeppelin 1970
Recommende tracks; Since I've Been Loving You, bits and pieces of other tracks.


Tattoo You | The Rolling Stones 1981
Recommended tracks; Worried About You, No Use In Crying, Waiting On A Friend

So after reading that you're probably thinking something along the lines of "Her perception of the blues is about as accurate as Paris Hilton's perception of talent" but I double dare you to listen to a few of these tracks mushed together with the 'real deal' and well, they actually belong.
P.S I am well aware that Exile On Mainstreet actually has a ridiculously high blues content, maybe my infant brain just couldn't handle it.
Enjoy x


No comments:

Post a Comment